Copyright © 2006 All rights reserved
Home / Heritage >>>  

Tel Aviv Museum of Art

Street address:   27 Sha’ul Ha’melech Boulevard, Tel Aviv 61332
Mailing address:   P O Box 33288, Tel Aviv 61332
Telephone number:   972 3 695 7361, 972 3 696 1297
Fax number:   972 3 695 8099
E-mail:   janinbar@netvision.net.il
Web site:   http://www.museum-tamoa.co.il/
Proprietor:   Municipality of Tel Aviv-Yafo supported by Associations of Friends of the Museum, private donors and commercial sponsors
Contact:   Prof Mordechai Omer Director and Chief Curator
  Shraga Alkalay Deputy Director
  Doron J Lurie Chief Conservator
  Doron J Lurie Curator of 16th-19th Century Art
  Nehama Guralnik Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art
  Ellen Ginton Curator of Israeli Art
  Edna Moshenson Curator of Prints and Drawings
  Rona Sela Curator of Photography
  Meira Yagid Curator of Design and Architecture
  Yaffa Goldfinger Director, Helena Rubinstein Art Library
  Yael Borovich Director of Education
  Noga Shalit Ilan Director of Joseph and Rebecca Meyerhoff Art Education Center
  Rachel Lautman Director of Circulating Exhibitions
  Avigail Arnheim Director of Music Programmes
  Dudi Peleg Director of Events
  Janet Inbar Director of International Relations
  Orit Aderet Spokesperson, Public Relations
Opening hours:   10am-6pm Sun-Mon and Weds-Thurs, 10am-10pm Tues, 10am-2pm Fri-Sat; admission charge

Tel Aviv’s first mayor Meir Dizengoff spurred the initiative for the Tel Aviv Museum of Art which was founded in his home in 1932. During its formative years, the museum displayed works by international Jewish artists, mainly of the Paris school, including Marc Chagall – who was involved in the museum’s establishment – Man? Katz, Lassar Uri and Modigliani. ‘Eretz Israel’ artists such as Rubin, Gutman, Zaritsky, Lubin and Anna Ticho were also featured. Expansion followed a decade of operations, with the museum becoming a concert-hosting cultural centre. In the 1950s a larger building was needed, and a new wing – the Helena Rubinstein Pavilion for Contemporary Art (see below) was constructed. The museum’s new main building on Shaul Ha’melech Boulevard was inaugurated in 1971 and has since become the home of the museum’s collections and temporary exhibitions, and a setting for a wide range of cultural activities; its two auditoria are used regularly for concerts, films and other arts events. The museum’s current collection comprises some 40,000 items displayed throughout an area of 5,000 square metres. European art from the 16th to 19th centuries is represented by Impressionism and Post-Impressionism, the Simon and Marie Jaglom Collection and the Moshe and Sara Mayer Collection, and 20th-century art by the Mizne-Blumental Collection; Israeli art and a special exhibit of the Collection of Jacques Lipshitz Sculptures are also featured. Further expansion in 1987 resulted in the establishment of the Art Education Center at 8 Dubnov Street (see p XX) which has become the museum’s key educational resource.